Create a Home Page
Next you will create a static page to use as the home page for your website.
Create Your Home Page
- Click on Pages in your WordPress admin panel and select Add New.
- Type “Home” in the title field at the top of the page.
- Place your cursor in the body field below. Make sure you have the “Visual” tab selected instead of the “Text” tab (unless you know HTML and want to use it to create your page).
- To display more editing tools, click the Toolbar Toggle button near the right of the toolbar. (As you mouse over each editing tool, its name or function is displayed.)
- Type the information you want to include on your home page. Use the editing tools to change font color and type, add bullets or numbers, or create hyperlinks.
- To create a hyperlink, select the word or phrase you want to use as a link, click the paperclip icon on the top of the toolbar, click the gear to the right of the box that pops up, paste the URL into the URL field, and click the Add Link button.
- When you have finished entering content on your page, click the Publish button in the right-hand navigation panel.
- You can also use the Preview button to review your page before publishing or Save Draft, if you aren’t ready to publish. However, you can always go back and make changes to your page, even after it’s published.
Set Your Home Page as a Static Front Page
- Click on Dashboard in the left navigation pane, then click on the Customize Your Site button.
- Scroll down on the customization menu and click on Static Front Page.
- Select Static front page, and then select “Home” (the page you just created) from the Front Page drop-down menu.
- Click the Save & Publish button.
NOTE: If you wish, you can leave the Title on your home page blank, which may give your page a less cluttered look. If you decide not to name the page, you will need to look for a page with a number and “no title” in the drop-down when setting a static page. That should be no problem, however.